~~Taken from the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall.
1 whole egg
1-1 1/4 cups oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice or white vinegar
1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
salt and pepper to taste
honey (optional-just to taste)
1. Any vegetable oil or a combination of oils may be used.
2. Process egg, lemon juice and mustard powder in blender or processor for a few seconds.
3. While machine is running, add the oil very slowly-few drops at a time, do not add quickly-it should take more than 60 seconds.
4. As mayo thickens, the sound of the machine will deepen.
5. With the machine still running add the salt and pepper and honey if needed. Add other seasonings if desired.
May be made in a blender or food processor (using steel blade), if using processor recipe can be doubled. If using blender, do not double as it will not thicken properly.
Use to thicken gravy. Add 2 tbsp mayo to about 1 cup gravy liquid and heat gently for about 1-2 min, stirring consistently.
Use as a base for tarter sauce by adding 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles (unsweetened) and 1/4 chopped onion.
Use as a mock Hollandaise sauce by adding grated cheddar cheese: spread on vegetables such as cooked cauliflower or broccoli. Cover and heat in oven.
Mix equal parts mayo and SCD yogurt to make a salad dressing.